Light and aero carbon clincher
Cosmic Carbon 40 Elite is perfect for riders who value versatility above all else. The 40mm deep rim profile delivers plenty of aerodynamic performance but is also one of the lightest in its category as well as the strongest. As such it is equally at ease on flat, rolling hills or long steep passes.
To achieve this balance we had to rethink the traditional design of a carbon clincher rim, engineering our own solution that is now recognized by the media and many racers as the strongest design on the market.
That wouldn’t be so amazing if it only delivered reliability. But we also managed to make it superlight at just 460g per rim – an industry record for a rim of this depth. So how did we do it? By using a superlight alloy insert on the rim bed that also acts as a cooling system when prolonged braking increases the rim flange temperature.
Braking efficiency has always been the weak point of carbon rims. That’s not the case any more, thanks to our exclusive TgMax technology. This process uses a special brake track surface preparation to deliver the best possible braking in all conditions, shortening braking distances in the wet by 50% in comparison to our closest competitor.
Strong spokes and smooth hubs
The spokes are securely attached to the rim using our unique Fore drilled inserts, in which the nipples are directly threaded to avoid any drilling on the rim. This keeps the rim strong and stiff. Meanwhile the hubs roll on smooth QRM+ bearings with an adjustable preload so they stay smooth even on the longest runs. And the FTS-L freewheel system transfers power to the ground in the most efficient way possible.
Tires to match
The front wheel comes with our Yksion Pro Griplink tire that offers great grip, especially in wet conditions thanks to a water evacuation channel integrated into the tread pattern, and super strong Kevlar puncture protection.
On the rear wheel we’ve gone for maximum rolling efficiency that to our Yksion Pro Powerlink tire. This has a supple 127 TPI casing, soft nylon puncture breaker and a tread pattern that releases the pressure on the ground while perfectly evacuating water to maintain grip in rainy conditions.
Superior braking performance and reliability
- TgMax: enhances braking modulation and shortens stopping distance
- Rim cooling system: rapidly dissipated heat makes the rim reliable and strong
- Fore drilling: stronger and more reliable rim
The perfect blend of lightweight and aerodynamics
- 40 mm wind tunnel optimized rim profile
- Extralight carbon rims fitted with 190 gram Yksion Pro clincher tyres
Stiff and easy to maintain in a streamlined package
- Fore drilling
- QRM+ hubs
- Delivered with carbon brake pads
- Tyre 700x23: 195 grams
- Pair without tyre: 1545 grams
- Front without tyre: 670 grams
- Rear without tyre: 875 grams
- Dimension: 23-622 (700x23c)
- Casing: 127 TPI
- Front and Rear Tread: Single Compound
- Yksion Pro GripLink (front) & PowerLink (rear)
- Breaker: Front Kevlar, Rear polyamide
- Max. Pressure: 25mm 7.7 bars - 110 PSI
- ASTM CATEGORY 1 : road only
- For a longer longevity of the wheel, Mavic recommends that the total weight supported by the wheels don't exceed 120kg, bike included
- Recommended tyre sizes: 23 to 32 mm
- Material: 3K carbon fibers with aluminum cooling system
- Drilling: co-molded Fore drilled inserts
- Brake track: carbon with iTgMAX technology
- Tyre: clincher
- Valve hole diameter: 6.5 mm
- ETRTO size: 622x13C
- Height: 40 mm
- Brake track: carbon
- Count: front 16, rear 20
- Lacing: radial front and rear non-drive side, crossed 2 rear drive side
- Nipples: Fore integrated aluminum
- Material: steel
- Shape: straight pull, bladed, double butted
- Freewheel: FTS-L steel
- Adjustable sealed cartridge bearings
- Rear body: aluminum
- Axle material: aluminum
- Front body: Front 100% carbon
- Multifonction adjustment wrench
- User guide
- Carbon brake pads
- BR301 quick releases