So fast, they need the best braking
Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C is the pinnacle of carbon clincher wheels as it’s both incredibly light and aerodynamic, but also because it excels in an area that most of our competitors ignore: strength and durability. It’s these qualities that make it ideal for going fast on all terrain, whether on the flat or up and down long mountain passes.
The problem with carbon clincher rims
Heat dissipation: It’s very difficult to combine carbon rims and a high-pressure clincher tire in one reliable, lightweight package, because braking generates temperatures of up to 200°C, which carbon can’t dissipate. During 2015 Etape du Tour, Mavic’s neutral assistance serviced 100 wheels, 38 of those where carbon clinchers from our competitors.
Compatibility: The ETRTO and ISO norms define the specific measures and tolerances of the rim contour. This contour ensures tires can be mounted easily and safely. When working with carbon, this contour is very complex to achieve. Most of our competitors chose to either machine the rim, which means cutting through fibers and creating weaknesses, or leave the rim in violation of the ETRTO and ISO norms, thus creating an unsafe product.
Braking: On top of all these issues, another big problem for carbon clincher rims is consistent braking, in the wet or the dry. Some of our competitors even include clear warnings that their carbon rims have limitations when it comes to braking performance and reliability. These warnings include bad wet braking performance and rim failure caused by prolonged braking. However, you will never see these warnings on a Mavic product because we never compromise on your safety or our products’ performance. Braking needs to be on top, wet or dry, period.
Introducing our one-piece carbon rim contour
After years of experimentation and innovation we can now make a rim bed contour that’s achieved with no post-machining of the fibers. Instead our rim is finished with layers of continuous carbon fiber to achieve a unique one-piece rim contour straight out of the mold. This technique has some very clear benefits:
Superior heat management: Once the rim layup is ready, we use a proprietary curing process so the resin solidifies and the Tg properties are set. Our rims can withstand temperatures of up to 200°C, which represents the most extreme strain and is rarely seen in real world conditions. We call this our refined iTgMax technology and it’s designed to give you complete trust and confidence. 100% of our rims are tested before going to market.
Best braking performance: To get the most efficient braking and heat management, you need an extremely consistent brake track. Our unique molding process and laser machining achieves nearly zero surface variations and offers the shortest braking distances in both dry and wet conditions with superior feel and consistency. Patented!
Super light, wide and aerodynamic: The finished product is a superlight rim (only 450g per rim) meaning low inertia and a super dynamic ride with snappy acceleration and precise handling. The rims are wide (17mm internal) for low rolling resistance, great traction and good comfort. And they offer the best aerodynamic performance in their category thanks to a precise NACA profile (40mm/25mm deep/25mm wide) for low drag and high crosswind stability. Laced with our patented aero spokes for unmatched aerodynamic efficiency.
Finished with the perfect wheel-tire system.
These unique rims attach to hubs that feature our new light, fast engagement Instant Drive 360 freewheel system. Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C also comes with our Yksion Pro tires which provide the best cornering grip and lower rolling resistance.
Ultralight full carbon clincher
- The lowest inertia in the category
- Weigh just 450g, giving you instant acceleration
- 18 spokes on the front wheel and 24 on the rear, so you get increased lateral stiffness and optimal power transfer
Superior aerodynamic performance
- 40mm wind tunnel tested NACA profile rim
- 25mm external width (17mm internal) for perfect tyre integration and superior handling in all conditions
- Patented elliptical spokes enhance aerodynamics
‘Best in Class’ braking and reliability
- iTgMax carbon technology for superior heat resistance and reliability
- The laser-treated brake track gives predictable braking in all weather conditions
- The unique single carbon layer rim bed wrapping is created without machining or fibre cuts
- Tyre 700x25: 210 grams
- Pair without tyre: 1450 grams
- Front without tyre: 645 grams
- Rear without tyre: 805 grams
- Instant Drive 360
- Casing: 127 TPI
- Front and Rear Tread: Single Compound
- Yksion Pro GripLink (front) & PowerLink (rear)
- Dimension: 25-622 (700x25c)
- Breaker: Front Kevlar, Rear polyamide
- Recommended tyre sizes: 25 to 32 mm
- Max. Pressure: 25mm 7.7 bars - 110 PSI
- ASTM CATEGORY 1 : road only
- For a longer longevity of the wheel, Mavic recommends that the total weight supported by the wheels don't exceed 120kg, bike included
- Front axle: Quick Release only
- Rear axle: Quick Release only
- Freewheel: Shimano/Sram or Campagnolo, convertible to XD-R with optional driver body
- Drilling: traditional
- Brake track: carbon with iTgMAX technology
- ETRTO size: 622x17C
- Material: 3K carbon fibers
- Tyre: clincher
- Valve hole diameter: 6.5 mm
- Height: 40 mm
- Internal width: 17 mm
- Nipples: aluminum, ABS
- Count: front 18, rear 24
- Lacing: front radial, rear Isopulse
- Material: steel
- Shape: straight pull, bladed, double butted
- Freewheel: Instant Drive 360
- Sealed cartridge bearings
- Axle material: aluminum
- Front and rear bodies: aluminum
- Multifonction adjustment wrench
- BR601 quick releases
- User guide
- Rim tape
- Carbon brake pads