Garmin Edge 520 GPS Enabled Computer
Out of Stock Sorry, you missed it. But you still have options...
Recommended alternatives We've found some items that may interest you...
- Show Recommended Products You may also like...
- Show Top Rated Our top rated products...
- Show Best Deals Great products, low prices...
- Show New in GPS Computers See the latest products
New in GPS Computers
Archive Product Details Comparing? Here's the info from the out of stock item
- ShowProduct Information The Garmin Edge 520 is a powerful GPS enable cycle computer packed with performance enhancing featur... read more
- Show Customer Reviews (2)
The Garmin Edge 520 is a powerful GPS enable cycle computer packed with performance enhancing features. With the 520 you can analyse every part of your ride performance to spot strengths and weaknesses in your fitness and skills.
Contained are some impressive new features that current Edge models don’t feature. Integration with Strava live allows you to receive segments sent directly from Strava to your display. Compete for a King of the Mountain, beat a personal best or thrash your mates.
Pair the Garmin Edge 520 with a power meter and heart rate monitor and the computer will report your VO2 max and recovery time data. Pair with Garmin Vector pedals and you can see the comparative power through each pedal.
One of the best new features is the ability to pair the Garmin Edge 520 with an ANT+ turbo trainer. On those long winter months you can train with your computer synched up to the turbo to control the resistance or select specific workouts based on your training needs. The turbo will automatically make the adjustments as you ride.
These features along with a long 15 hour battery life, optimised high res colour display and large range of data points make the Garmin Edge 520 the all purpose cycle computer.
Review | 4.5 out of 5
“Virtually every metric you can think of presented in a compact design” – Bike Radar
Garmin Edge 520 GPS key features:
- Offers in-ride challenges through Strava live segments
- Reports cycling-specific VO2 max and recovery time when used with power and heart rate
- Pairs with compatible ANT+® indoor trainers for data display and control
- Tracks Functional Threshold Power (FTP), watts/kg and cycling dynamics when used with Vector™ or Vector 2 power meters
- Connected features¹: automatic uploads, live tracking, smart notifications, send/receive courses, social media sharing, weather
Strava live segments integration
- The Garmin Edge 520 is the first bike computer compatible with Strava live segments
- 3-month trail of Strava Premium
- Starred Strava segments automatically sync with the 520 for live feedback during your ride
- You get alerts for segment start and finish and leaderboard rankings once you complete the segment
Turbo trainer connectivity
- Pair your 520 with a compatible ANT+ indoor turbo trainer for a suite of training capabilities
- Set training targets and start pedalling, the trainer will automatically adjust to keep you at your target while the 520 shows your stats
- Challenge yourself to a course that you or another rider has created and the trainer will adjust resistance to match the elevation profile
Power meter features
- FTP and watts/kg tracking lets you compare yourself to others as well as cycling dynamics
- A built in FTP test helps you establish your baseline either on the road or on your trainer
- Add heart rate data and the 520 can derive your VO2 max estimate and post-ride recovery time, which indicates how long before you should attempt another hard effort
- 2.3 inch high resolution display
- Screen clarity in all lighting conditions
The Edge 520 is compatible with ANT+ sensors including:
- Varia™ bike radar and lights
- Speed, cadence and heart rate
- Edge + VIRB remotes and compatible weight scales
The Edge also integrates with Shimano DI2 to display your current gear on the screen. The Edge 520 is also compatible with ANT+ power meters including Vector series.
When paired with your compatible phone and the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app, Edge 520 offers live tracking, smartphone alerts, social media sharing, weather and wireless uploads.
Once your ride is complete, the data can be automatically sent to Garmin Connect™ where you can save, plan and share your rides.
Battery + GPS
- 15hr battery life
- Compatible with GPS and GLONASS satellites
Here’s Your Competitive Edge
We started with the aerodynamic form factor of the popular Edge 500, added in-ride challenges on Strava live segments, colour display, connected capabilities and advanced analysis features. The result — Edge 520, the GPS bike computer that’s right-sized for competitive cyclists and packed with the features you crave.
Prove Your Edge
Edge 520 is the first bike computer that’s compatible with Strava live segments and includes a 2-month trial of Strava Premium. With this membership, your starred Strava segments automatically sync with the 520 for live feedback during your ride. You’ll also get alerts for segment start and finish and leaderboard rankings once you complete the segment.
Train on the Edge
Need some motivation to get through those lonely miles on the indoor trainer? Edge 520 delivers with a suite of training capabilities when paired with compatible ANT+ indoor trainers. Let’s say you want to train at an average power of 240 watts. Just set the target on Edge 520, start pedalling, and the trainer will automatically adjust to keep you at your target while the 520 shows your stats. You can also follow a course that you or another rider created and literally race the recorded stats, with the trainer adjusting resistance to match the elevation profile.
Pair it with a power meter and Edge 520 offers an additional set of features, like FTP and watts/kg tracking, so you can compare yourself to others, as well as cycling dynamics². A built-in FTP test helps you establish your baseline either on the trainer or on the road. Add heart rate³ and the 520 can derive your VO2 max estimate and post-ride recovery time, which indicates how long before you should attempt another hard effort.
Edge 520 compromises nothing when it comes to display — 2.3 inches of high resolution colour. We maximised the display so you get the most live area in relation to the compact size of the 520. You’ll also appreciate the screen clarity in all lighting conditions.
The Connected Bike
Edge 520 is compatible with ANT+ sensors, including Varia™ bike radar and lights4, speed, cadence, heart rate, Edge and VIRB® remotes and compatible weight scales. It also integrates with Shimano Di2 electronic shifting systems5 to display your current gear on the screen. Edge 520 is also compatible with ANT+ power meters, including the Vector series.
Compatible Garmin Edge devices will now work with WKO4 individual power levels (iLevels), the newest metric for cyclists and triathletes who train with a power meter. Developed by Dr. Andrew Coggan, iLevels are specific training levels based on an athlete’s unique physiology and current level of fitness.
WKO4 software, developed by TrainingPeaks, has changed how coaches and athletes analyse data and prescribe workouts. Fully customisable charts allow you to view and compare specific data to gain clearer insights into your training. Based on the introduction of the power duration curve, WKO4 has introduced several new training metrics, including Functional Reserve Capacity and Pmax tracking, which help coaches and athletes track their specific fitness.
The prescription of power-based training is derived from an athlete's Functional Threshold Power and targeted to general percentages. iLevels are based on the power duration curve and adjust automatically based on your performance. They detect micro changes in fitness to ensure you are always training at the right intensity.
Now you can update iLevels directly from WKO4 by simply plugging in your Edge and automatically downloading the daily iLevels to your Garmin device. These iLevels will be displayed in a unique 9 levels view on the Garmin head unit and will be available in workouts. Download a free 14-day trial of WKO4 from TrainingPeaks
When paired with your compatible phone and the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app, Edge 520 offers live tracking, smartphone alerts, social media sharing, weather and wireless uploads. Once your ride is complete, the data can be automatically sent to Garmin Connect™, our online community where you can save, plan and share your rides.
LiveTrack is Getting Easier to Use
LiveTrack lets family and friends track your location in real-time while you’re riding, and now it’s even easier to use. When you enable auto-start, you can spend more time focusing on the ride and less on the technology. LiveTrack will automatically detect when you start riding, which means there’s no need to even reach for your phone anymore. Auto-start is also compatible with the new Strava Beacon, which lets Strava Premium subscribers take advantage of the same great feature. It’s never been easier for you and your loved ones to have peace of mind while you ride.
Off the Beaten Path
The compact, rugged form factor and up to 15 hour battery life of Edge 520 make it ideal for off-road adventures. It’s also compatible with GPS and GLONASS satellites, so you benefit from more signal options, wherever your ride takes you.
¹When paired with a compatible phone.
²When used with Vector or Vector 2 power meter.
³Included with some models, sold separately on others.
4With future software update.
5Compatible with Shimano Di2 electronic shifting systems with Shimano D-Fly Data Management function.
- Physical dimensions: 4.9 x 7.3 x 2.1 cm
- Weight: 60 g
- Water rating: IPX7
- Battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion
- Display size: 3.5 x 4.7 cm
- Display resolution: 200 x 265 pixels
- Colour display
- Battery life: Up to 15 hours
- High-sensitivity receiver
Maps & Memory
- Routes100 (as courses)
- History Up to 200 hours
- Barometric altimeter
Daily Smart Features
- Smart notifications
Training, Planning and Analysis Features
- Customisable screen(s)
- Auto Pause®
- Advanced workouts
- Auto Lap®
- Virtual Partner
- Auto scroll
- Running Features
- Foot pod capable: Yes (optional)
- Time/distance alerts (triggers alarm when you reach goal)
- Interval training
- Compatible with Vector™ (power meter)
- Power meter compatible (displays power data from compatible third-party ANT+™-enabled power meters)Yes (records data approx. 1 per second)
- Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyse, categorise and share data)
- Automatic sync (automatically transfers data to Garmin Connect)
- Compatible with Varia™ bike radar and lights: Yes
- Edge® remote compatibility: Yes
- LiveTrack: Yes
- Advanced performance and power analysis, including new Time in Zone, FTP tracking, cycling-specific VO2 and recovery and cycling dynamics
- Bike trainer profile for compatible Turbo trainer data display and control
- On-device segment compatibility for dynamic and engaging in-ride competition
- Operating temperature: -20°C to +55°C
- Connected features via a smartphone: Yes
- Compatible with Garmin Connect™ and Garmin Connect™ Mobile: Yes
- Compatible with VIRB® action cameras: Yes
- Integration with Shimano Di2 electronic shifting: Yes
- Weather alerts: Yes
- Preloaded Garmin cycling map: No
- Wi-Fi® compatible: No
- Round-trip routing: No
- Route planner: No
¹ Advanced workouts require a Garmin Connect account
In the box
- Edge 520
- Mounts (standard and extended out-front)
- USB cable
Garmin User ManualsGarmin Edge 520 user manual
Garmin Edge 520 GPS Enabled Computer Reviews
Customer Reviews (2)
The Garmin 520 sits strongly and attractively on its mount at the head of my bike. It gives you all the info you need, and I'd stress the point you need a power meter and heart rate monitor/cadence sensor to make it really worth using as a training tool. One negative is how tricky it is to set up strava live segments, because you need to do some real research into how to set it up - there are no clear instructions that come with the Unit. That said, once you have it working, its very motivational and definitely gets you out on the bike a lot more!
The Garmin 520 sits strongly and attractively on its mount at the head of my bike. It gives you all the info you need, and I'd stress the point you need a power meter and heart rate monitor/cadence sensor to make it really worth using as a training tool. One negative is how tricky it is to set up strava live segments, because you need to do some real research into how to set it up - there are no clear instructions that come with the Unit. That said, once you have it working, its very motivational and definitely gets you out on the bike a lot more!Close review
This is the 1st Garmin i have owned, been on a few rides and has reset once on a 3 hour ride but apart from that its very useful to see all the data and even a map. Like the strava segments as it helps push you that little bit more if you're a few seconds off a PB
This is the 1st Garmin i have owned, been on a few rides and has reset once on a 3 hour ride but apart from that its very useful to see all the data and even a map. Like the strava segments as it helps push you that little bit more if you're a few seconds off a PBClose review