Surly Big Fat Dummy 2018 - Touring Bike
Out of Stock Sorry, you missed it. But you still have options...
Recommended alternatives We've found some items that may interest you...
- Show Recommended Products You may also like...
- Show Top Rated Our top rated products...
- Show Best Deals Great products, low prices...
- Show New in Touring bikes See the latest products
New in Touring bikes
Archive Product Details Comparing? Here's the info from the out of stock item
- ShowProduct Information Adventures await, and the Surly Big Fat Dummy is eager to take you on them. It is a touring bike tha... read more
- Show Customer Reviews (0)
Adventures await, and the Surly Big Fat Dummy is eager to take you on them. It is a touring bike that you can take nearly everything you’d want with you, thanks to the enormous rear rack and long wheelbase. The massive 5.25” tyres gives your loads of traction, no matter where you’re riding, even in sand and snow, and also makes sure you have the platform to carry your heavy gear into the wilderness.
- 4130 CroMoly steel frame is robust and has mounts for anything you could hope for
- TIG-welded tapered & butted 4130 CroMoly fork is strong
- SRAM GX 2x11 speed drivetrain offers a wide range of gears
- Surly Big Fat Nate and Big Fat Larry tyres
- SRAM Level T disc brakes are lightweight and powerful
- Huge rack in the rear and pannier bags make transporting goods easy
- Sizes: Small, Medium, Large
- Colours: Cromwell Green
- The Surly Big Fat Dummy is available with 0% APR finance
The Big Fat Dummy is a long tail cargo bike that took a few too many doses of growth hormones. At first glance, you might say that we just put bigger tires on a Big Dummy. But if you said that, you’d actually be very wrong so just… don’t. Think of Big Fat Dummy as more of a second or third cousin to Big Dummy rather than a brother. They share some of the same DNA and look sort of similar, but they’re two very different bikes and really only interact when they both reach for the potato salad spoon at that family reunion that no one really wants to be at anyway.
Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get down to the nitty gritty of what makes this hulking beast of a bike tick. The goal with designing a cargo bike around fat tires was to create the most stable, stiff, and traction-laden ride possible while hauling a ton of stuff. Big Fat Dummy has a longer toptube and slacker headtube than its more svelte cousin giving it a nice, predictable, and stable ride. Surly have also used thinner, lighter tubing to construct its cargo area so while it’s an overall burlier bike, there’s not much difference in weight.
Big Fat Dummy accepts either 10mm or 12mm axles in the rear with a spacing of 190/197mm. That big ‘ol spacing equates to one thing: tire clearance for days. Big Fat Dummy maxes out at a massive 26 x 5.25” tyre.* While that large of a tyre provides the most traction and stability a bike can possibly offer, it’s also a lot of rubber to push and might not be for everybody. Luckily, Big Fat Dummy is also a blast to ride with 3” tyres too. It uses the same 100mm suspension-corrected fork as the Wednesday, meaning if you want to add a little squishy squishy to your ride, you can throw a Bluto on and let ‘er rip.
If you intend to carry a passenger on your Big Fat Dummy, it requires use of Surly Dummy Rail Collars. These provide a secondary retention system for the rack, as well as stiffen the rack system. In addition, a stoker handlebar set up, found on tandem bicycles, is recommended as well. Make sure to check with seat post manufacturer for stoker handlebar compatibility. All Big Fat Dummy framesets and bikes ship with a Dummy deck, rails, bags, and the aforementioned Dummy Rail Collars so you can immediately start hauling cargo - human or otherwise.
All Tredz bikes are:
- Fully built & ready to ride
- Fully checked & tested by Cytech qualified mechanics
- Available with 0% APR finance (up to 48 months) on any basket over £99
- UK price match guarantee
- 365 day no hassle returns
- Free delivery in the UK Mainland on a date that suits you
In the box with every Tredz bike is:
- Free Tredz 9 key trail tool
- Free Tredz pedal spanner
- Free basic pedals
- Tredz drawstring kit bag
- 16 point quality control check sheet
- Basic bike setup instructions
- Free Cycle Plan insurance voucher (8 weeks)
|Frame:||Surly 4130 CroMoly steel|
|Headset:||Cane Creek 40 series|
|Stem:||H.L. 31.8mm clamp 4-bolt|
|Front Brake:||SRAM Level T|
|Rear Brake:||SRAM Level T|
|Brake Lever:||SRAM Level T|
|Front Mech:||SRAM GX|
|Rear Mech:||SRAM GX|
|Rims:||Surly My Other Brother Darryl|
|Front Hub:||Salsa 150x15 32H|
|Rear Hub:||Salsa 197x12 32H|
|Front Tyre:||Surly Big Fat Larry|
|Rear Tyre:||Surly Big Fat Nate|
|Seat Post:||H.L. 9mm offset 2 bolt|
|Chainset:||Race Face Aeffect 36/22|
|Bottom Bracket:||Race Face|
|Chain:||KMX X11 anti rust|
|Cassette:||Sunrace 11s 11/42|
Occasionally without notice, manufacturers sometimes change product specifications.