Who says lightweight & aerodynamic road wheels must be delicate! The Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher front wheel is the latest in a line of race-winning wheels from the brand, who proved their expertise by being the first to produce a carbon rim that would win under the demanding conditions of the cobbled classics.
If the Viscoelastic Constrained Layer Control rim construction sounds complicated, it’s because it is. In essence, the layers of rigid carbon fibre laminate have a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between them, reducing road vibration by as much as 10% over a standard carbon construction.
The Firecrest aerodynamic rim profile has been thoroughly honed and perfected in the wind tunnel to do more than just reduce high speed drag. Compared to other rims of similar (and sometimes shallower) depths, the Firecrest shape substantially reduces the effect of crosswinds on your bike, giving you the stability and confidence to keep the hammer down when your competitors have to relent.
The 77/177D hubset on the Zipp 303 carbon clincher tubeless disc wheels are an excellent example of Zipp’s advanced engineering design. The star-flanged straight-pull hub shell evenly distributes spoke tension forces, making sure that the bearing bores stay round and don’t change shape under the stress. This minute attention to detail is just one of the reasons Zipp’s wheelsets have a competitive edge. They’re ultra-reliable, built with incredible precision, and designed for the ultimate performance.
Riding at speed on a road bike demands poise and stability. The Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher front wheel not only takes care of unsettled cobbled surfaces, they’re unfazed by crosswinds and keep you riding exactly where you want to go.
About the 77/177D hubset:
- Bearing preload precision set at the factory – there’s no need to set the preload yourself
- Improved bearing protection and sealing
- redesigned designed quick-release skewers (included) have a wider & more ergonomic handle to give more leverage for opening and closing
- Proprietary flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern, with Sapim® CX-Ray® spokes, optimizes the torsional and lateral stiffness without increasing weight or robustness
- 17mm axle
- Thru-axle compatible. Comes with thru-axle end caps that can be swapped by hand (12x100mm & 15x100mm)
- Weight: 725g
- Hub Used: 77
- Rim Depth: 45mm
- Brake Track Width (centre): 26.40mm
- Max Width: 28.50mm
- Spokes: Sapim® CX-Sprint
- Spoke Count: 18
- Spoke Pattern: Radial
- Spoke Length: 260mm
- Max Tire Pressure: 125psi (8.62bar)
- Dimpled Surface: Yes
- Nipples : Sapim®
- External Nipples: Yes
- The Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher 77 Front Wheel is available with 0% APR finance