Surly ECR Frameset 2015
Out of Stock Sorry, you missed it. But you still have options...
Recommended alternatives We've found some items that may interest you...
- Show Recommended Products You may also like...
- Show Top Rated Our top rated products...
- Show Best Deals Great products, low prices...
- Show New in MTB Frame See the latest products
New in MTB Frame
Archive Product Details Comparing? Here's the info from the out of stock item
- Show Description Attention bike camp/exploration nerds! Are you sitting down? Behold ECR. ECR is a sure-footed, multi... read more
- Show Customer Reviews (0)
Ogre and Long Haul Trucker. Like the Ogre, ECR can run racks, fenders and disc brakes simultaneously, front and rear. It's compatible with singlespeed, full derailleur and IGH drivetrains (it even features a dedicated Rohloff torque arm mount); the rear dropouts are just like those on our Ogre (and Troll) frames. Run what you like. ECR's got multiple water and 3-bolt gear cage mounts on the frame and fork, which are handy for carrying more water, stove fuel, milk, a sleeping pad, small mammals or whathaveyou. It takes 34mm headsets (i.e. old standard) and regular mountain bike hubs (100mm front and 135mm rear). All the cable guides are designed for full length housing, in order to keep out the elements. The rigid fork can be swapped out for an 80mm suspension fork if you prefer, but then you'd not only lose a lot of the hauling capacity of the fork, you'd lose out on the ability to run a 3" tire on a 50mm rim.
Oh yeah. That. ECR is of the 29+ category, a name we made up when we introduced the Krampus, to indicate a wheel size that is more than 29"...more width, more height, more traction, more float. More. The tires even add a bit of low-tech but effective suspension. 29+ might also be called 'mid-fat,' in that the tires are larger than standard 29" mountain bike tires and the rims wider, but not as big or wide as true fat bikes. The approach angle of such big tires (close to 31") combined with the extra traction and float of high volume, low weight rubber make this bike extremely capable of going lots of places, from roads to trails to little traveled back country.
While the ECR borrows from Ogre, Krampus and even the Long Haul Trucker, it's really none. It is a specific animal, with geometry, features and components all chosen to let you navigate any road, from perfect to abandoned. It's not as speed-obsessed as Krampus, and it's capable of going deeper than Ogre. It's a pack mule, a pedal-powered escape pod. Choose from our stock trim, or get a frame and build it up to suit your needs or tastes, and start riding. Wherever you want to explore, this is the bike that can get you there.
- Sizes: 29"+ wheel in sizes XS-XXL
- Tubing: 100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. ED coated. Double-butted main triangle. TIG-welded
- Rear dropouts: Horizontal slotted w/derailleur hanger, 135mm O.L.D. Troll dropouts, trailer mount
- Brake compatibility: 51mm I.S. disc calipers (Max rotor size 160mm rear, 203mm front)
- Braze-ons: Two water bottle mounts on XS-M, three water bottle mounts on L-XXL, Surly Trip Guide full line guides for brake and derailleurs, fender and rack eyelets
- Seatpost diameter: 27.2mm
- Seatpost clamp: 30.0mm (Surly stainless included)
- Headset/Steertube: 1-1/8" threadless
- Front derailleur clamp: High direct-mount standard (adapter included)
- Bottom bracket shell: 73mm shell width, threaded standard English (1.37" x 24t)
- Chainring clearance: Triple 22/34/44t, Double 26/39t, Max single ring clearance, middle position, 34t. Outer position 44t (Triple will only work with 2.5" tires or smaller)
- Tire clearance: 29 x 3"
Fork spec :
- TIG-welded custom-butted 4130 CroMoly, 80mm suspension corrected, 1-1/8" steerer tube, 203mm disc brake clearance