If you had to choose just one wheel, the 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is a savvy and speedy choice. With a depth and shape proven in all conditions, it’s the all-around performer and the standard by which all other wheels are measured. Its 58mm rim depth is a classic all-around performer that has carried athletes to victory in every kind of event and situation – every triathlon distance, breakaways, field sprints and hilly finishes.
This latest iteration of the 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is infused with technologies developed in our Indianapolis advanced development lab. The results mean better performance out on the road: More speed, better control, and greater stopping power than its predecessor:
More Speed: Revised rim profile for reduced aerodynamic drag developed by our advanced development team in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
Greater AeroBalance™: ABLC™ Sawtooth™ Technology, a complex dimpling pattern first developed for our top-level NSW wheel lineup. This technology helps to achieve the optimization of low aerodynamic drag and crosswind stability, which we call AeroBalance.
Better braking: Zipp’s ShowStopper™ textured braking surface delivers unrivalled rim braking performance in wet or dry conditions.
Lighter Weight: The 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is 75 grams lighter than its previous iteration.
The 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is where the Firecrest® Revolution began as the first deep-profile carbon clincher design to offer the superior aerodynamics, ride quality, strength and handling of a wider rim body. Yet the 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher weighs 1,615 grams per set, providing best-in-class performance at a light weight.
At the center of the 404 Firecrest is Zipp’s 77/177 hubset with best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed. The result is improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility. For those looking for a wider gear range, or tackling especially extreme terrain, we now offer our Firecrest Carbon Clincher wheels with a XDR driver body allowing for more cassette options including a 10-42. Optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim® CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness.
The Firecrest shaping optimizes the aerodynamic profile of both the front half and the back half of the wheel. In addition, Firecrest moves the center of pressure of the wheel backwards for greater stability. At the same time, the 26.4 mm-wide brake track (at center) allows the clincher tire to take on a wider, more stable shape without compromising rolling resistance. It’s faster, simpler, and more stable. The Zipp Tangente R25 Road tire is a perfect match for this wheelset to deliver exceptionally low rolling resistance and high cornering grip.
- New, faster, more stable rim profile - AeroBalance™
- 10 or 11 speed compatible
- Handcrafted in the USA
- Improved 58mm rim profile – fast and stable; the signature Zipp wheel.
- ABLC Sawtooth dimple design helps manage air flow around the rim, and contributes to create a faster, more stable wheel.
- Industry leading Showstopper brake track: powerful and consistent braking, even on the wet.
- 77/177 hubset, reliable & durable, proven in the Spring Classics. No pre-load adjustment required
- XDR driver body available for 1x setups
- Sapim spokes & nipples
- Aero performance, durable and light weight
- Size (wheels): 700c
- Rim construction: Carbon
- Tire compatibility: Clincher Tube
- Brake compatibility: Rim
- Rim - inside width: 17mm
- Rim profile: Symmetrical
- Rim finish: UD fibre, adhesive decals
- Colour (Decal): Black, White
- Nipple material: Aluminium
- Spoke type: CX-Sprint
- Spoke count: 24
- Spoke pattern: 2 Cross
- Driver body type: SRAM/Shimano Road, SRAM XDR, Campagnolo
- Axle type (Wheels): QR 130
- Bearings: Cartridge - Carbon Steel
- Driver Mechanism: 3 Pawls Leaf Spring
Occasionally, without notice, manufacturers change product design and/or specifications.