Surly Cross Check Touring Frame
Out of Stock Sorry, you missed it. But you still have options...
Recommended alternatives We've found some items that may interest you...
- Show Recommended Products You may also like...
- Show Top Rated Our top rated products...
- Show Best Deals Great products, low prices...
- Show New in Road Frame See the latest products
New in Road Frame
Archive Product Details Comparing? Here's the info from the out of stock item
- ShowProduct Information The Cross-Check was the third frame we ever offered. There is no such thing as one bike that can do ... read more
- Show Customer Reviews (0)
Product DescriptionThe Cross-Check was the third frame we ever offered. There is no such thing as one bike that can do it all, but the Cross-Check does a good job of most things people use bikes for. It's a cyclocross bike by design but that's not how most people use it. It does as good a job getting you across the country as it does getting you across town. It's at home on the road and on trails, on gravel, and just about whatever else you might run into. It'll take pretty big tires, or smaller ones if you like. It can be built as a geared bike, a singlespeed or a fixed-gear.
The frame is designed to supply a comfortable but lively ride. The tubing is CroMoly steel, high quality drawn tubing built to our specifications. It's built to work with components of popular sizes, meaning you can find options in tons of new and old parts. It will accommodate a wide range of crank types and chainring sizes. It's got accommodations for racks and fenders front and rear. Because it takes those big tires, so you can outfit it to suit where and how you'll use it.
We offer the Cross-Check as a frameset and also in complete bike form. In fact, we've got two versions of the Cross-Check complete. One is a 2x9, with drop bars, cantilever brakes and traditional bar-end shifters. The other is a singlespeed, geared 42/17, with a Salsa Motoace riser bar, Avid V-brakes and comfy, capable 42mm Continental Tour RIDE tires. Both use the same frame so you can change it up later if you want. There's a reason we still offer the Cross-Check after all these years. The frame is comfy, tough as nails and super versatile. We continue to hear from people for whom the Cross-Check has long been their default go-to bike simply because it performs so astonishingly well.
- Tubing: Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded
- Rear Dropouts: Semi-horizontal dropouts give you singlespeed compatibility and wheelbase adjustability. Adjuster screws are included to keep your wheel in the right place for optimal shifting if you go with derailleurs. Our Gnot-rite spacing (132.5mm) allows you to run 130mm road hubs and 135mm MTB hubs
- Brake Compatibility: Cantilever brake studs front and rear
- Braze-ons/extras: Bosses front and rear to take cantilever or linear-pull brakes, eyelets at the dropouts, rear rack bosses, dual water bottle mounts, downtube shifter bosses, fully threaded through-blade fork eyelets for a front rack
- Seatpost diameter: 27.2mm
- Seatpost clamp diameter: 30.0mm Surly stainless, included
- Headset/Steertube: 1-1/8? threadless
- Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter: 28.6mm
- Bottom bracket shell: 68mm wide, standard English threaded 1.37? x 24t
- Chainring Clearance: Manipulated stays so you can fit the size rings you want. Go nuts
- Tire Clearance: Fatties Fit Fine (FFF) stays and our beautiful slope-crowned custom fork give room for tires up to 700c x 42mm, or about 700c x 40mm with fenders. Largest possible tire size depends on tire, rims, axle location in the dropouts, and other factors, but still, you can run pretty damn big tires
- 4130 CroMoly, lugged and brazed.
- Sloping crown with threaded eylets, tapered and butted curved blades with mid-blade rack eyelets, dual dropout eyelets
Dream Tangerine or Cuba Libre (Auburn) or Gloss Black
Occasionally, without notice, manufacturers change product design and/or specifications.